Dr. Cue Artistic Cup V, Artistic Lag II, Cue-Dean-“E” III Make History!!
The 2011 Dr. Cue Classic “Artistic” Cup V has etched its signature mark in billiard history once again. 25 of the world’s greatest Artistic Pool Playing Artists participated in this unique “Artistic Pool” Professional Challenge at the beautiful Pockets Billiards in Crestwood, IL on December 8, 9, 10, and 11. Jamey “The Sharpshooter” Gray from CT raced to the “artistic” victory circle – taking home the first place guaranteed prize money, beautiful “Victory” Cup trophy, and title honors!
This special event of the Dr. Cue Classic Artistic Pool “Sport & Show” Tour showcased some of the greatest Artistic Pool players under the WPA / APTSA sport umbrella. In addition, top players from several league tour stops held in 2011 at respective National and / or International events of the BCAPL, VNEA, ACS, and APA, plus several “at large” entries participated. The APTSA (Artistic Pool and Trick Shot Association) and WPA APD (World Pool Billiard Association – Artistic Pool Division) awarded applicable professional ranking points to players on respective North American and WPA World Ranking lists.
Competitors played side by side in special 3 person – player groupings with 7-foot tables and high percentage make rate shots creating an equalizer effect for all participants. Over $6,000 in guaranteed payout values and a rather large player / audience prize fund produced player and fan friendly opportunities in a reunion style billiard atmosphere.
The APPA (Artistic Pool Playing Artists) crusader force showcased a “class” act of billiard skills from each of the 8 magnetic disciplines of “artistic pool” – 1) Trick / Fancy Shots, 2) Special Arts, 3) Draw Shots, 4) Follow Shots, 5) Bank / Kick Shots, 6) Stroke Shots, 7) Jump Shots, and Masse Shots. When the challenge of 40 “classic” preliminary shots and 11 playoff shootout matches were over, a special awards ceremony honored the Overall event champion, 8 Discipline champions, and 2 Sportsmanship recipients.
In addition to the Cup V event, the Dr. Cue National “Artistic” Lag II Championship Finals took place after over 10,000 lags had been documented in junior, league, and other billiard venues since early 2011. Dozens of players and fans alike took part in this simple, yet very challenging and final contest of consistency and mental focus. A local room player and fan favorite, Matthew Forst from Alsip, IL displayed great focus and poise on his journey to becoming the event champion “title” holder, while winning a guaranteed $1000 and special plaque award in the process.
A special feature accented the 3 days of festivities when a unique presentation was made to Jason “The Tiger / My Son” Kane from England as the 2011 Cue-Dean-“E” Honoree. A large group of sport fans, room attendees, and fellow players witnessed the emotional moment, as Jason was presented with a beautiful McDermott “Table Trotter” Cue, plus a custom Cue-Dean-“E” III plaque. These awards were given to signify his “E”ntertainment, “E”ducation, and “E”nergetic talents, plus his “E”nlightening “spirit gift” to the magnetic world of “artistic pool” and beyond.
Special Note: Jason “The Michigan Kid” Lynch did a live stream for the events, presenting “artistic pool” at its finest and much more to Internet viewers around the world. Thank you, Jason!!
A recap outline of all events and complete results/stats follow:
December 8 – Players Registration, Practice, Special “Open” Forum Training, & “Dr. Cue” Show
December 9 – Players Meeting, Draw, And First Round Of Competition
- Artistic Pool Playing Artists vie for the prestigious Dr Cue Classic Artistic Cup V title
- Player’s meeting special moments with Dr. Cue “Goodie Bag” gifts and raffles galore
- Defending Champion Florian “Venom” Kohler takes early lead (59 points and 8 – 1st attempts)
- Mark “Dr. Popper” Dimick, perennial Cup player, in 2nd with 57 points and 7 – 1st attempts
- Andy “The Magic Man” Segal (Artistic Cup I Champion) in 3rd with 56 points & 8 – 1st attempts
- 8 players position themselves within 8 points of third place and 11 points of first place
- Andy Segal wins Trick / Fancy Shots Discipline with “perfect 30” score for bonus payout
- Florian “The Venom” Kohler wins Special Arts Discipline with “perfect 30” and bonus payout
December 9 – Second Round Of Competition
- Andy Segal playing brilliantly as he takes over the first place position with 114 points
- Masters Champion Mark Dimick holds onto 2nd place with 110 points and 16 – 1st attempts
- Curtis “The Cue Guy” Robertson enjoys 3rd place with 108 points / 13 – 1st att. / 5 – 2nd att.
- Florian Kohler slips to 4th place by posting a score of 108 points / 13 – 1st att. / 4 – 2nd att.
- Jason “The Michigan Kid” Lynch in the hunt – 5th place (108 points and 9 – 1st attempts)
- 2008 WPA World Artistic Pool Champion Jamey Gray maintains 6th after 2 rounds (107 pts)
- Mark Dimick captures Draw Shots Discipline (2 years in a row) with “perfect 30” point score
- Andy Segal wins Follow Shots Discipline with “perfect 30” score and earns 2nd Cup V medal
December 10 – Third Round Of Competition
- Fan Favorite “Spitball Charlie” Darling catapults from 7th to 1st (160 points / 19 – 1st attempts)
- Jason Lynch leaps from 5th to 2nd with same score of 160 points but with 13 – 1st attempts
- Andy Segal falls slightly to take residence in 3rd place with 157 points and 23 – 1st attempts
- Mark Dimick in super focus with score of 157 points and 21 – 1st attempts, now in 4th place
- Jamey Gray moves up 1 place to 5th – playing with a determination to win at 156 points
- Nick “Quick Nick” Nikolaidis getting in stride now in 6th place only 7 points behind the leader
- Dave “Triple Jump” Nangle earns a well deserved medal by winning the Bank/Kick Discipline
- Nick Nikolaidis garners Stroke Shots Discipline medal in tiebreaker fashion over Jason Kane
- Curtis “The Cue Guy” Robertson, Steve “Triple C” Markle, Jim “Coach” Barnard in “top 12”
- All 4 “position” banks made by Nick Nikolaidis, Dave Nangle, Rodney “Triple P” Fontaine, Tom “Too Kool” Kinzel, Bobby Amor, Rocky “Rocko” Haden, and Marty “Farmer” Carey
December 10 – Fourth Round Of Competition
- Jason Lynch surges into 1st place with 216 points – the highest “Cup” score ever recorded
- Andy Segal takes back 2nd place position with 213 points and wins Jump Shots Discipline
- Charles Darling maintains playoff bye place and finishes prelims in 3rd place with 210 points
- Mark Dimick in 4th (205 points) and garners a 1st round playoff bye in the Sunday match play
- Jason “The Tiger / My Son” Kane wins Masse Discipline in 4 way tiebreaker playoff against “Spitball Charlie”, “Dr. Popper”, and Jeremiah “Daddy – O” Owens (All 4 had perfect scores)
- Shootout Includes Jamey Gray – 5th, Nick Nikolaidis – 6th, Steve Markle – 7th, Dan Taylor – 8th, Curtis Robertson – 9th, Dave Nangle – 10th, Florian Kohler – 11th, and Jeremiah Owens – 12th
December 10 (7:00PM to 8:00PM) – Entertainment and Cue-Dean-“E” Search Honoree Presentation
- The Barber, Spitball Charlie, The Michigan Kid, Quick Nick, The Cue Guy, Too Kool, The Venom, Triple C, Dr. Popper, and The Steve entertain everyone with special “artistic” talents
- Special presentation in honor of David “Dean” Edwards (1950 – 2006), Dr. Cue best friend
- Jason “The Tiger / My Son” Kane from England recognized as 2011 Cue-Dean-“E” Honoree
- Dr. Cue / Ms. Cue present beautiful custom Cue-Dean-“E” III plaque to “The Tiger / My Son”
- A heartfelt appreciation expressed by Dr. Cue to Jason for his “E”ntertainment, “E”ducation, and “E”nergetic talents, plus his “E”nlightening spirit gift to artistic pool and beyond
December 10 (8:00PM to 10:00PM) – Dr. Cue Artistic Lag II Championship Finals
- Dr. Cue Artistic Lag II Championship event begins with prelim rounds for expert “lag” artists
- 26 finalists after qualifying round lags shoot it out for champion honors / large payout fund
- Fan and local player Matt Forst becomes 2011 Champion – wins $1000.00 with 87 / 51 score
- Steve “Triple C” Markle finished a close second with an 87 / 48 score and earned $800.00
- Jamey “The Sharpshooter” Gray took 3rd place ($600.00) for a recorded score of 84 / 51
- Florian “The Venom” Kohler won $400.00 for his 4th place finish based on his 81 / 42 score
- Top 4 players received beautiful plaque awards and “lagging” rights for their special skills
December 11 – RACK Room “Sunrise” Fellowship, Final Rounds, And Awards Ceremony
- RACK Room Fellowship – Rodney Fontaine (leader), Jason Lynch, Curtis Robertson, Dr. Cue
- Playoff – 8 players start at 10:00AM, 8 at 11:00AM, 4 at 1:00PM, and final 2 players at 2:00PM
- Shootout format works beautifully with 8 preselected shots and 2 picks per round match
- Lynch, Segal, Darling, and Dimick receive 1st round bye by virtue of their preliminary scores
- Taylor, Gray, Kohler, Markle win in 1st round over Robertson, Owens, Nikolaidis, and Nangle
- Lynch, Darling, Dimick, and Markle lose in 2nd round to Taylor, Gray, Kohler, and Segal
- 3rd round competition produces great matchups with Taylor / Gray and Kohler / Segal
- Gray wins by a score of 56 – 47; Segal registers a 3 point margin of victory (55 – 52)
- Jamey wins prestigious Cup V title; Andy finishes in 2nd place after 3-point deficit to Gray.
- Top 4 players receive beautiful “victory” cup trophies – Special Cup Cakes to places 5 – 25
- 8 discipline champions receive special award medals/ribbons and official title recognition
- Sportsmanship medals and special honors awarded to Steven “Triple C” Markle by vote of players and Rodney “Triple P” Fontaine by vote of directors / staff.
- Large group of sport fans, room attendees, and fellow players witnessed another emotional moment as Jason “The Tiger / My Son” Kane (2011 Cue-Dean-“E” III Honoree) was presented with a custom Dr. Cue “Table Trotter” cue donated by McDermott.
- Jason joins 2 other spirited Cue-Dean-“E” Honorees – Jason “The Michigan Kid” Lynch (Cue-Dean-”E” I for 2009) and Rick “The Barber” Hawkinson (Cue-Dean-“E” II for 2010).
- Special moments to last a lifetime were shared by everyone in attendance as this highly successful event came to a close and special players with special hearts left for home
I want to thank my wife, Marty (“Ms. Cue”) for everything she did prior to the event to make it happen, plus her dedication to assure that everything was in good order during the event schedule. Marty and I want to express our sincere thanks to the numerous sponsors, players, fans, and staff volunteers that made “all” of the events / activities taking place during the Dr. Cue Classic Artistic Cup V a huge success and a resounding victory for the sport of Artistic Pool.
DR. CUE CLASSIC ARTISTIC CUP V
(OVERALL POSITIONS OF FINISH)
Place Player / Nickname / Home Base Points Prize $ / Award
1 Jamey “The Sharpshooter” Gray (CT) 205/26 $ 1300.00 + Cup
2 Andy “The Magic Man” Segal (NY) 213/29 1050.00 + Cup
3 Dan “Deadeye” Taylor (IL) 191/20 800.00 + Cup
4 Florian “Venom” Kohler (France) 188/22 600.00 + Cup
5 Jason “The Michigan Kid” Lynch (MI) 216/20 400.00
6 Charles “Spitball Charlie” Darling (MO) 210/27 300.00
7 Mark “Dr. Popper” Dimick (OK) 205/29 200.00
8 Steven “Triple C” Markle (PA) 191/22 150.00
9 Nick “Quick Nick” Nikolaidis (Quebec, CN) 200/24 100.00
10 Curtis “Redneck Cue Guy” Robertson (TX) 190/23 100.00
11 Dave “Triple Jump” Nangle (MD) 190/19 100.00
12 Jeremiah “Daddy-O” Owens (IL) 183/21 100.00
13 Jason “The Tiger / My Son” Kane (England) 181/20 50.00
14 Chris “Tricky Shot” Woodrum (VA) 174/22 50.00
15 Tom “Too Kool” Kinzel (PA) 172/24 50.00
16 Peyton “Almost Famous” Thomas (NY) 164/17 50.00
17 Jim “Coach” Barnard (CA) 162/16 50.00
18 Rocky “Rocko” Haden (AR) 150/16 50.00
19 Steve “The Steve” Murphy (Newfoundland, CN) 146/18 50.00
20 Rick “The Barber” Hawkinson (IN) 135/14 50.00
21 Bobby “TBD 123” Amor (MO) 131/12 50.00
22 Marty “Farmer” Carey (CA) 126/10 50.00
23 David “Dave” Head, Jr. (IL) 89/7 50.00
24 Rodney “Triple P” Fontaine (FL) 84/6 50.00
25 Mike “El Capitano” Davie (NY) 74/8 50.00
Note: Positions of finish are after match play was finished. Points listed are for preliminary rounds only. Event tiebreaker rules were used to break same scores in preliminary rounds and are shown in score postings above by number of 1st attempts after “forward slash” line.
Playoff Shootout Matches On 12/11/11 (Following RACK Room Fellowship Service):
Round 1 – Dan Taylor, Jamey Gray, Florian Kohler, and Steve Markle defeated Curtis Robertson, Jeremiah Owens, Nick Nikolaidis, and Dave Nangle in respective matches. Dan Taylor, Jamey Gray, Florian Kohler, and Andy Segal defeated Jason Lynch, Charles Darling, Mark Dimick, and Steve Markle in Round 2 matches. Round 3 revealed Jamey Gray over Dan Taylor and Andy Segal over Florian Kohler. Jamey Gray continued his winning way as he defeated Andy Segal in the final round – Round 4.
DR. CUE CLASSIC “ARTISTIC” CUP V DISCIPLINE CHAMPIONS
Trick / Fancy Shots Andy Segal 30 out of 30 points
Special Arts Florian Kohler 30 out of 30 points
Draw Shots Mark Dimick 30 out of 30 points
Follow Shots Andy Segal 30 out of 30 points
Bank / Kick Shots Dave Nangle 28 out of 30 points
Stroke Shots Nick Nikolaidis 28 out of 30 points
Jump Shots Andy Segal 28 out of 30 points
Masse Shots Jason Kane 30 out of 30 points
Note: Discipline champions received $50 each, plus a special victory medal award. Players with perfect discipline scores of 30 points that received $25 each were: Andy Segal (Trick / Fancy & Follow Shots); Florian Kohler (Special Arts); Mark Dimick (Draw Shots & Masse Shots); Charles Darling (Masse Shots); Jason Kane (Masse Shots); and Jeremiah Owens (Masse Shots)
CUP V SPORTSMANSHIP RECIPIENT AWARDS
By vote of players: Steven “Triple C” Markle
By vote of directors / staff: Rodney “Triple P” Fontaine
Note: Sportsmanship recipients each received special honors and a victory medal award.